5 Common Symptoms That Indicate a Problem
Everyone experiences some intestinal distress or stomach discomfort every now and again. Sometimes it is something we ate or a minor illness that will pass. However, it is important to know when you may need to seek medical attention. Conditions that go undiagnosed can become worse over time and even cause permanent damage. What symptoms should you look for that indicate you should see a gastroenterologist?
- A Lump in Your Throat – If you have trouble swallowing or experience pain when drinking water, you may have a GI condition. Also look for hoarseness, coughing, feeling full too soon, and frequent hiccupping.
- Sudden Bloating with Pain – Bloating is not uncommon, but if it happens very suddenly without reason, it can be a sign of a problem that needs medical attention.
- Unusually Foul-Smelling Gas – Gas is normal, but if it’s particularly strong and accompanied by any of the other symptoms listed here, it may indicate a serious issue. Strong odors can mean the presence of a parasite called giardia.
- Blood in Your Stool – Blood in your stool is never normal. If it is bright red, it may be from hemorrhoids. If it is black, it can be a problem within the digestive system.
- New Unexplained Symptoms – Anytime you experience new, unexplained symptoms, it is time to call a doctor. Major issue should be addressed quickly. Even if it is a lesser problem, your physician may have suggestions to help stop and prevent it in the future.
If you are uncertain about changes in your GI tract, it is best to be safe and make an appointment with a gastroenterologist.